Carpe Septem Dies

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 47: A Week for a Jumpstart

Well, hello! I am actually alive...I know that it's been forever since my last update. What can I say other than life gets busy and unfortunately the first things that tend to go are the things you most enjoy. Life during November and December in The Salvation Army is pure chaos because of the Kettle Season. For those of you who don't know, kettles are the red bucket things that are outside very store during the Christmas season. People stand out there and ring bells...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I don't think it would actually feel like Christmas without hearing those bells!

Well, life since I've updated: I've continued my Mission 20. It's been a lot hard than I expected but I'm proud to say that I've lost about 10 more pounds and am hoping to lose as much as I can before Christmas (in a healthy way of course). Literally my work days start at about 8:30AM and go until about 10:30PM which means that there isn't a lot of free time to do much of anything, BUT I continue to head to the gym at least 3 days a week plus do Hip Hops Abs or walking the other days of the week. Yes, be proud of me. That's a big accomplishment in the midst of chaos!

October came and went. The highlight of October was the Harvest Party I planned for the college students here (that's the picture above). We all dressed up, bobbed for apples, had a pumpkin carving contest, donut eating contest, baked pumpking seeds, and watched some Halloween movies. It was wonderful. I just LOVE the fall and everything that comes with it. It was sad to not be home with family and friends during this time, but I was happy to bring some traditions to my friends over here.

Also in October, I was able to spend some time with my friend Kyle. Kyle was a guest blogger awhile back, and he's a friend of mine here in Boston. We've been friends since high school, and it's been a HUGE blessing to have him here. He's the one piece of home I have here in Boston. We haven't seen a ton of each other, but every time we hang out, it's such a great time. My life is filled with The Salvation Army- I work here and live here- that it's so nice to be able to go outside of that to spend time with a very intelligent and chill friend. Basically, we made homemade pizza (Kaitlyn-used your dough recipe!), talked, and then watched a movie. Such a simple night, yet it was the nicest night I have had in a while. Very thankful to have Kyle around.

November FLEW by. Kettles started Nov. 16, and then Thanksgiving came. I wasn't a
ble to be home for Thanksgiving which was really hard since it was my first holiday away from home, but I was able to skype with my family and say the prayer before their meal. The picture is of me skyping in with my family! Even though I couldn't be home, I was able to spend the day with friends here. We had a lovely home cooked meal, put up the Christmas tree, watched Elf, and enjoyed relaxing.

Now we're already in December! I'm counting down days until I am able to go home for vacation. I'm heading back to Chicago on Christmas day and will be able to spend over a week at home with family and visiting with friends.

I have a lot to say about Kettles, but I won't get into it. I will say that if you let it, this season can
fill your life with chaos and distract you from the true importance of this season. Advent is a time of waiting, a time of ancipation for what's to come, a time to be like a child filled with wonder...and I've lost that along the way. Yesterday I actually had a day off- the first one since Thanksgiving. I worked all day on my Christmas gifts, made my annual scrapbook for my sister and brother-in-law, and then spent some time with God. It was lovely, and I was reminded that if I don't stop and remember what this season is about, it will pass me by. Not only will it pass me by, but I'll be grumpy, tired, negative, and ready to punch someone in the face! I don't to be like that.

During my time with God, I listened to some podcasts from the church I was going to in Evanston called the Vineyard Church of Evanston. I really do miss the people there, and I always loved the sermons. I listened to the first two sermons from Advent called "Risky Curiosity" and "Happy Terror." God spoke through both of them. I would strongly encourage ALL of you to check them out, even if you're not entirely sold on the whole "God" thing. Head
here to listen, and then let me know what you think! I'd love to discuss : )

"A Week for a Jumpstart" is a week to get this blog up and running again (I will see it through til the end!) and to let my heart be "jumpstarted" so that I will join in the joy and excitement of this season of Advent. Will you guys join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment