Carpe Septem Dies

Monday, October 4, 2010

Week 12: Unplugged Week

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope that you all had a great weekend-I definitely did. Thursday night I got the stomach flu which was awful. I threw up a billion times (not actually, maybe like 15 times), and then woke up on Friday weak and sore. It was not fun, let's just say that. This weekend was Youth Councils, so us leaders from the church took the youth to WI to hear Michael Collins speak from Vancouver, Canada. God spoke so strongly through him. Lives were changed, people were healed, chains broken, souls saved....it was amazing.
God spoke to me personally pretty strongly, and revealed me to things that will change the course of my life. I am still trying to process through everything, and I think that will take some time, but ultimately I am excited. I am blessed that God has spoken so clearly and all that's left to do is walk forward toward Him.

Michael Collins said something pretty interesting during the weekend. He asked us a couple questions: Could you live 7 days unplugged? Without our cell phones? Without our friends?
As I listened to these questions, I knew I could live with out these things but I knew that it would be extremely difficult for me. I have talked about this before, but I like to be with other people. It is hard for me to be alone, and most days I hate being alone. I think there's something wrong with that. I know that we are created to be in relationship with one another, but what I miss is that the most important thing is to be in relationship with God. I am starting to realize that a small part of why I love to plan events for my friends and I'm always the one making plans, is that I'm afraid no one else will-that I'll be shoved to the side because no one cares to go out of their way to spend time with me. Yikes. I actually typed that out. It's true though, and if I don't continue to confront these things in my life, then I will never change.

So this week is "Unplugged Week." What exactly does this mean? For starters, no Facebook, Twitter, Four Square, or blogging. Honestly, I would have gotten rid of Facebook a long time ago (I actually did a couple times) if it wasn't such a awesome advertising tool. Maybe that's just an excuse, I don't know. The only time I'll be online is to do my job. Also, no phone. This will be a new one for me. No cell phone for 7 days. This means being unplugged from family and friends, which I think will be the hardest thing for me. I want to again point out that I don't see anything wrong with any of these things I'm giving up, but what God is shown me is that I am much too dependent on other things when I should be only dependent on Him. I am sick of these stupid insecurities and the way I feel so easily tossed to the side by people but that's what happens when you see your identity in anything or anyone other than God. No more. God has shown me way to much this weekend to ignore these things any longer.

Well, here we go. Join me if you'd like. Pray for me this week, because I'm sure that Satan will use this week to attack me with lies. For any one who knows me just a little, you know that this week will be difficult, but I'm ready for it.

1 comment: