Carpe Septem Dies

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week 11, Day 4

I will admit that this week has been pretty rough as far as actually meeting my goal. I think I just picked the wrong week to sit down and read. I've been babysitting 3 kids/house sitting for the last couple nights, which you mothers out there will know that by the time you actually have the time to read, you basically just fall asleep with the book in your hand.

Also, I haven't none of the libraries around the area have this book "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," which is actually pretty interesting. I am bound and determined to read it though.
This weekend I am off to a youth retreat with the teens from my youth group, so I'm hoping that I might be able to find some time during free time to read by the little lake that's there.

Just to educate you guys a little bit, here are the 10 Most Challenged titles in 2009:
  • ttyl; ttfn; l8r; g8r by Lauren Myracle
  • And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer
  • Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
  • The Color Purple by Alica Walker
  • The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

Here's the thing: I've read To Kill a Mockingbird and The Color Purple. I loved both of the books- they're classics! And I can't imagine not allowing kids in school to read these. But I also know that I wouldn't want my young children reading just anything.

What are your guys' thoughts about banning books? I'd love to hear opinions.

1 comment:

  1. And Tango Makes Three is a very interesting book. My professor read it to our class. It's a childrens' picture book about two real life male penguins who choose each other as mates and when they can't have a baby they find a rock and treat it like an egg, and then the zoo keeper gives them a baby penguin named Tango.

    ReplyDelete