Carpe Septem Dies

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Week 44, Day 2

When my sisters and I were growing up, my middle sister Jennie was a free spirit (and still is). I remember when we asked Jennie what she wanted to do when she grew up, she would say she wanted to be a "hobo in Jamaica." Then the end of the summer 2007 came around, and Jennie told us she was pregnant. It was a big shock, life changing moment. Tons of emotions ran wild. Hands down, I have never been more proud of my family than in this time- a time where we walked alongside Jennie and just loved her. I have never been more proud of Jennie (well that may not be true since every single day I am proud of her). She bravely went through pregnancy, through giving birth, through being a mother at a young age. Her boyfriend (now husband) was with her through the whole thing. He's a great man, and I'm proud to call him my brother-in-law. I feel as if he's been part of the family forever.

I will never forget the day that Riley (my niece) was born. Seriously, Jennie gave birth and I don't think I heard one peep from her. She was so strong and brave. Then Riley Lauren entered the world and our world changed forever. This small, fragile, beautiful infant brought such joy to all of our lives. Now, I know the sacrifices Jennie and Cory made being parents at a young age, and it may not have been at an ideal time, but I am completely convinced that God had His hand in the whole thing. Riley brought our family together, my Grandma (lovingly known as G.G. which stands for great grandma) adored her right up until she passed, Jennie and Cory quickly matured into amazing parents because of her...The first time I held Riley, I immediately loved her. Well, I loved her before she was even born, but there's something very different about actually holding your niece in your arms for the first time. I never knew I could love a child that much. Goodness, if I love Riley that much and she isn't even my own child, I can't even imagine the love I will feel for my own.

Then last summer Jennie and Cory were married, and I can honestly say that it was one of the best days of MY life! It was the most beautiful wedding I have ever been to, the most fun wedding, and a wonderful celebration of love between two of my favorite people in the world.

God has used Jennie, Cory, and Riley to shape who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment