Carpe Septem Dies

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week 19: A Week of Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving week everyone! I hope that you are all looking forward to the Holiday and that you all will be spending time with people that you love.

Harry Potter week was awesome! I saw the newest movie this past week with friends, and it was AMAZING! I loved it. For those of you who haven't seen, you should : )

This week is simple. Here's the thing, whenever it gets close to Thanksgiving people start talking and thinking about the things that they are thankful for, myself included. Why aren't we doing this all the time? Just think about how different our attitudes and lives would be if we were thankful everyday. Here's the hard thing- finding ways to be grateful in hard situations. It's easy to be grateful for good things that come into our lives, but how about being grateful for the struggles we go through?

This week, I will write every day this about something/someone for which I'm grateful. Since today is Tuesday, I will write about two things since I didn't post yesterday.

1.) My job: My job is difficult, it's stressful at times, my pay got cut, and many times I feel like my job is my life, but I am SO thankful that I have a job. And I am thankful that I have this particular job, a job where I can pour into the lives of youth in the community, a job where I get to form meaningful relationship with people, a job in a Christian environment, a job where my bosses and co-workers are amazing, and I could go on and on. When I'm in the midst of the stress and chaos, it's hard to be grateful but I am so unbelievably blessed to have a source of income and a way to use my gifts and talents.


2.) My best friend Lisa: Do you have one of those friends who has been through the worst and the best of times with you? Lisa has seen me at some of my weakest moments. She was my roommate for two years in college, so she definitely saw the good, bad, and the ugly. I have hurt Lisa in the past, yet she didn't give up on me. God speaks and acts through Lisa, and our friendship is centered around God. I don't know any one who understands me more than Lisa does, and I think that's because we are so much alike. I am thankful for the crazy/silly times we've had together....if you are reading this and you've witnessed Lisa and I together, you know how silly it can get! One of our favorite past times in college was to be stealthy ninjas with blankets over our heads and sneak up on our other roommate (center of the picture). Yep, we're dorks. This picture gives you just a glimpse that that silliness (Lisa's on the right)! And I'm grateful for the honesty and openness that we share. I can be 100% of who I am with Lisa, no judgment. I feel so deeply loved by Lisa, and that has been a huge blessing in my life.

As we approach Thanksgiving, really do think about those things that you are grateful for. Actually, don't just think but show that thankfulness. If you're thankful for a person, then tell them. Praise God and thank Him for what He has done for you and given to you. Don't just think that these things in our lives are just coincidences, because they aren't. They are blessings from God! And when Thanksgiving is done and over with, continue to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment