Carpe Septem Dies

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 25: Running Week

Hello, friends! What a week it has been! For some reason in my life-when it rains, it pours. But you know what? God is faithful, and He has it all under control!

Just a quick update: Grandma is at home and seems to be doing a little better, but people are continuing to visit and say their good byes. It's great to have her home with my parents though. She is so much happier there. My job- I've officially been let go due to financial reasons, and my last day is February 18. Currently, I have no job lined up, but I serve a God who provides. Now, I won't lie to you- I have moments where I have a little freak out session but then I snap out of it and remember that God has a plan. Life is crazy, but I'd rather it be that way than boring : )

Again, thank you all for your love and support- the phone calls, the texts, the cards, the prayers. They all mean so very much to me. And thank you for continuing to follow this blog. I love seeing your comments! What an encouragement!

On to week 25....God has really laid it on my heart to run. Why? I really have no idea. I can't think of any time in my life where I thought, "Hmmmm. Running. Sounds like something I'd love to do!" It's actually been quite the opposite. I have watched people run marathons, run everyday, and I've thought, "Wow. They are nuts." But for some reason, this is on my heart, and I do believe that God has put it there.

Here's my goal: To run a 5K this coming May. There is a guy, Pablo, in my church who is quite the runner. Pablo is amazing- so supportive, but will push you and push you only because he knows you can do it and wants to see you succeed. He's a runner for God, and he's so graciously agreed to help me train. I created a routine for myself, and I'm so excited to start that off this week.

Today I had my test run with Pablo outside. We walked over to the track at the high school across the street, stretched, and then started running. Pablo ran with me and pushed me to continue. In all honestly, I thought that I would be able to run half of one loop around the track. I thought if I ran any longer than that, my lungs would explode or something else really crazy. But I ended up running 3/4 of a mile in 11 minutes, which I am sure isn't great but I was so proud of myself and so was Pablo.

I'm keeping a journal of times, things I need to remember, feelings, etc. Here's my first entry:

January 25, 2011- at 10AM walked to Eisenhower H.S. to the track. Before starting, he told me to be in conversation with God during this whole process. He said for today, my prayer could be, "God, help me to build." Stretched upper and lower body for about 5 minutes. Pablo told me about the importance of vaseline- put it on my face that way when my eyes start to water, the tears will just run down and not freeze. He also warned me saying my nose will run like crazy and I just need to blow it out. Weird. Ran 3/4 of a mile in 11 minutes! I CAN DO THIS!!!! In the process, eyes really watered a lot, and my nose ran like crazy! Didn't feel comfortable blowing my nose on my gloves like Pablo suggested so just dealt with it. Walked a lap to cool down. Walked back to the center and did weights.

Feelings: again, I CAN DO THIS!!!! With God's help and strength, I've totally got this. I can run a 5K and more!!

Notes to self: Buy vaseline, get a stop watch, bring a ton of kleenex so I don't have to blow the snot out on my gloves, wear a garbage bag under clothes (helps to burn more calories), DRINK WATER!

I will update every day with my journal entry. My schedule for training is 7 days a week, rotating a heavy day and a light day. This means Mondays start off being a heavy day, Tuesdays are lights days, Wednesday are heavy days, and so on. Heavy days: I try to beat my time and light days: I try to run farther.

Prayers appreciated!!! And for those of you who have tips- throw them my way!

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I was going to say bring tissues with you, but you already seem to have that covered. When I started running, I was super sore not the day after, but two days afterward. It helps to just keep going as long as you stretch beforehand. You can do this!!! You're very inspiring, just so you know. :) And, also, I get emails about jobs for social work constantly from school. Most of them are for near Indianapolis, but would you like me to forward them to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Amanda! Everyone in my family is running-crazy now-a-days, for some reason! My favorite part was when you talked about blowing boogs into your gloves. Laughed out loud imagining what your face must have looked like when he told you that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get discouraged and burnt out! You need a "rest" day to just stretch or do yoga to clear your mind. If you miss a day, don't beat yourself up either. Say "oops" and move along. :) Have you found a 5k yet? Good luck and thanks for keeping me updated!
    P.S. I still don't have the "farmer's blow" down yet either so for now I wipe my nose on my sleeve! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember running days with Pablo. I thought I was going to die. haha. Stay focused, Amanda. God is good. And you can for sure do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the support and encouragement!! I'm definitely getting better at the blowing my nose part : ) And Amber, yes, sometimes I feel like I am going to die. Totally get that! And Ashley, my trainer and I are going to sign up for a breat cancer run for May. We are signing up this week! melanie- I love you...a lot..yes, send me jobs if you can!

    ReplyDelete