Carpe Septem Dies

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week 10, Day 2

Day 2 I went through the "Where" portion of the circle. In this circle, I put things that are a "given" in my life-things about my job, family, my past, lessons learned, and memories from my life. It was actually really surprising what came to my mind when going through this circle.I wrote down probably about 50 different things, but I'll share just a couple. Here are some thoughts that came to mind:

  • My job: I really love my job, even though I many times feel like I am not equipped to do it. Just today I was sitting there in front of my computer trying to plan programs, figure out how much to charge for these programs, and figure out how to advertise for them. I kept saying to myself, "Am I really cut out for this job? Isn't there someone else who could do this job much better?" I am super passionate about doing youth work and that part of my job comes fairly easily, but everything else definitely stretches me. It's a good thing though. I am very blessed to have this job; so close to my house and I work with people whom I love so much.
  • Memories of the house I grew up in: I loved that home. I lived there for about 21 years of my life. My family moved to a different house when I was in college, and honestly, this new house has never really felt like home to me. I just have so many wonderful memories of life at the old house; memories with friends and with family. I remember having my friend's going away party in the basement before he left for the Air Force. I remember family holidays with everyone there. I remember falling up the stairs one Halloween night and laying there for about 10 minutes trying to get over the embarrassment. I remember having my first communion party, my high school graduation party, my surprise party, and a ton of other family parties. I can think back about this house and want to cry because I miss it.
  • Punky Brewster and blanket forts: When my sisters and I were younger, one of our favorite shows was Punky Brewster. I remember that it came on right after this kids game show. In order to prepare for Punky Brewster, we would make these big blankets forts using tables and chairs so that we could sit under them and watch. We loved it, and I think back to how much fun we had together. Now we are grown, and sometimes I wish we could just go back to the simplicity and innocence of Punky and forts.
  • "Always do your best, and God will do the rest": My mom told me this all the time growing up, and I remember it to this day. I have even found myself saying it to friends. From the moment I started school, I started worrying. Ask my mom and dad. They will tell you! I would freak out about a test or a homework assignment and to calm to down, my mom would say that simple phrase.
There are MANY more that I wrote down, but this is enough for now. Yesterday, was an awesome day. I am seeing how God is faithful and provides. God has put together a youth service that I've been trying to plan, and it's so awesome to see it all coming together. Our prayer ministry team came in to pray for me yesterday and without knowing about my "Identity Week," they prayed that God would show me my identity in Him. I am starting to see glimpses of giftings that I never realized that I had. God is doing something amazing. How's it going for you?

2 comments:

  1. Amanda! This is awesome and I am so excited to see all that God shows you in this period of unmasking the Amanda within. You are amazing, and I look forward to hearing more and more growth in your identity defined by Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I have to admit, I also use to think about the Dyer house and would get depressed about how much I missed it and how the Cedar Lake house just never really seemed to be as much of a "home." Both your sisters have mentioned missing that house too. But a wise old man once told me it was just a building, (just kidding,it was your dad that said it)and that really got me thinking. What I missed most was the memories it held (my girls growing up, maybe even happier,less stressful times we all shared as a family). And the Cedar Lake house has become an "empty nest" of sorts. So now I try not to focus so much on the building, but the memories we made in Dyer and the ones we're going to make in the moments we share together in Cedar Lake, Blue Island, Lowell,& West Lafayette. I love you kiddo,and am so proud of the woman you've become!!!

    ReplyDelete