Carpe Septem Dies

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week 8, Day 1

Today I didn't actually do anything other than celebrate the birthdays of two of my amazing friends. I did however look up some interesting birthday traditions from China.

Everyone in China celebrates their birthday on New Year even if it isn't actually the day that they were born, which I thought was pretty interesting. I found out that a Chinese child's second birthday is a big deal, and it's when the baby tell their own fortune. Here's how this happens: The baby is placed in the center of a group of various objects like a doll or book or coins. Whatever the child decides to pick up is supposed to reveal what the child will be in the future. For example, if the child picks up a coin, he or she may become rich or if the child picks up a book, then he or she may become a teacher. Interesting! I thought about doing the same thing: putting a bunch of random things around me and while blindfolded, pick up an object....but then I thought that was definitely not the same : )

Also, good to know: It is considered unlucky to give someone a clock in China for their birthday. In Mandarin, the word for clock is similar to the word for death. Yikes! So no clocks for my birthday this year, friends! It is also believed that tigers protect children, so family members bring gifts to the child that are decorated with tigers.

Hope you learned something new! I sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment