Carpe Septem Dies

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week 10, Day 5 & 6

I first want to give you guys some verses that I find helpful to read through when I am struggling with identity issues. My goal is to actually memorize some of these verses.
  • 1 Corinthians 7:20-24: Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you-although if you can gain your freedom, do so. For he who was a slave when he called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a rice; do not become slaves of men. Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to.
  • 1 Corinthians 12: 27: Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
  • (still trying to figure out how this is played out in my life) Colossians 2:9-10: For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.
  • Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Those verses always encourage me. I've also been doing some reading this week. I picked up a book called "When Wallflowers Dance" by Angela Thomas. I have actually read this book before. I read it the beginning of the second semester of my senior year in college, and it was during a really rough season in my life. My heart was kind of broken by a guy I really liked, I felt alone, I was hiding big time in my busyness and friends were being neglected because I didn't "have time" for them. I think back to that season and just see it as a dark, low point in my life. Any way, I read this book during that time and God totally spoke through it. I honestly don't remember much about this book other than I was healed during reading it. I'm picking the book back up again, not because I'm at a low point, but because I remember God speaking to me about my identity through it. My friend AJ gave it to me because God really spoke to her through it too. In one of the beginning chapters it poses a question: "What if the woman I have always dreamed of becoming is the woman God envisioned when He dreamed of me?"

With all my heart, I want to grow into the woman God envisioned when He dreamed of me. And the thing is-that woman is already inside of me. I just think she might be buried under fear, insecurity, some bitterness, pain over rejection....but she's going to surface eventually. And when she does...it's going to be awesome : )

1 comment:

  1. oh my word amanda! that book was so my turning point...and i love looking back on it! it's the most important book ive read for myself (minus the actual Bible of course). and i saw angela thomas at a conference last year, and will again this year (check your facebook messages...). i love you so much beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete