Carpe Septem Dies

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Topic # 13: Irrational Fears

In my opinion, all fear is irrational. God clearly tells us: "Do not fear, for I am with you" in Isaiah 41:10. Different fears have always fascinated me, and I'm not exactly sure why. My fears range from mice (even dead ones) to the fear that I will be alone my whole life, fear of Orcs (what if they were real??) to the fear that I'm not worthy of love. There are more deep down, but those are the ones that stick out. Irrational, I know. Some are goofy, and some are deep seated ones that need to be taken out and then those places where they used to be need to be healed. Whenever those fears come to the surface, I try and rebuke them right away and speak truth. Then sometimes I let fear consume me. I think we all have experience with that.

Like I said earlier, fear fascinated me. There are some fears that I hear of and find myself thinking, "That's ridiculous!" The thing is, some people could hear my fears and think the same thing. There are some people who are afraid of chewing gum. Stepping in gum could completely ruin a person's week. Some are afraid of lawn gnomes, spontaneous combustion, bathtub sharks, butterflies, mugs, subliminal messages, and much more. Honestly, some of those things make me want to laugh, but then I think about my fears and how those are serious to me. Real fear that can over take me. The only thing that subsides my fears is knowing the God is in control. If I didn't have that to cling to, I wouldn't know what to do.

So whatever your fear is, know you aren't alone!

1 comment: