Carpe Septem Dies

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Topic #20: Most Influential Year in School

Mrs. Parker was my first grade teacher, and first grade was most definitely the most influential year in school. That may sound silly because, well, it was first grade and so very long ago but I wish you could have met Mrs. Parker. She actually passed away about a year ago, but she was the most amazing woman...ever. I have never seen a teacher love her students as much as she did. I learned soooo much that year, not only book stuff but things like how to treat someone like they should be treated and how to be a friend. She truly made learning a fun experience, and I looked forward to going to school each day. She was strict when she needed to be, and gentle when she needed to be.

I stayed in touch with Mrs. Parker long after 1st grade. Every year before school started, I would help her get her room together. I always felt so honored to be her "little helper." She was a Christian woman, and I didn't know that until much later in life but that makes complete sense.

The last time I spoke with her was June 2009 over the phone. We reminisced about school, how beautiful I was, how she knew I would grown up to do amazing things- most important of which was loving everyone that I met. Shortly after that she passed away, and let me tell you, there were hundreds of sad students, teachers, family members, and friends that day. I hope to deeply impact lives like Mrs. Parker did. Mrs. Parker, you are very missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment