Carpe Septem Dies

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Topic #16: Mundane talents or skills

I am quite the shoveler. I was able to put this skill into practice during the Snowpocalypse. I am quite determined whenever I go out and shovel snow. On Wednesday night through Thursday morning I shoveled snow for a total of 6.5 hours, which I definitely felt the day after.

I am also the most awesome cleaner ever. I can clean a toilet like nobody's business. Speaking of toilets, I am really great at unclogging them as well. Gross story: When I was working at camp a few summers ago, I spent a day working housekeeping. All of a sudden me and a couple other girls got a call saying that a toilet in the men's bathroom in the cafeteria was clogged. We headed over there, plungers and plastic gloves in hand, to take care of the problem. We get in the bathroom, plunge the toilet, and then try flushing but it began to overflow like crazy. Immediately the two girls started to scream, and I ran to turn off the water. Let's get say someone had taken a big dump, and it overflowed onto the floor. This left us in quite the predicament- we couldn't mop it up or else it would be smeared all over the mop. Gross. We also couldn't just leave it there. Someone would definitely notice. So as all of my camp friends still say: "Amanda Keene to the rescue." With my plastic gloves on, I take some paper towel and pick up the "waste" by hand. Gross, I know but honestly it really wasn't a big deal. I think being a poop picker-upper is quite important...

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I am so good at plunging toilets. I know exactly what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked for 3 summers at Deep River Water Park in "maintenance." I was a janitor. I cleaned poop for 40 hours a week at minimum wage. One thing it teaches you is that when something needs to be cleaned. No matter what it is. You can clean it. Boom! Life lessons.

    ReplyDelete