Carpe Septem Dies

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Topic # 5 Alter Egos

First thought that comes to mind: Jekyll and Hyde. Second thought that comes to mind: double life. When my friend Matt who is also doing 24 Hour Blog Day told me this was the next topic, I laughed to myself mainly because I've felt like my "alter ego" has been getting the best of me lately. Honestly, I think it's a God thing that this topic would be brought up. Stay with me....

Paul, a guy from the bible writes in the book of Romans: "We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do...." Sounds like an alter ego to me- living a double life. I did my very first sermon on this topic actually. We are human- we mess up, right? Sometimes there's something that just takes over us, and we do stupid things. We hurt the people we love the most (just did this a few days ago), we say things we don't mean, this Jekyll and Hyde thing from a movie actually becomes a reality. And these things we do- we don't want to do them, but it happens. Anybody know what I mean? That's what Paul is talking about.


I won't say much more because I don't want to give a sermon, but I will say that good and evil is constantly in battle within ourselves and evil will always win without God. Just the other day, I was stressed and had to shovel A LOT of snow on very little sleep after the heat was out for about 18 hours in the midst of job loss, having to move.......I say all this but there's no excuse. I was talking to a friend and was annoyed by something sooooo tiny, yet it was like Mr. Hyde took over. I felt terrible after. Praise the Lord that this particular person is a good friend who cares about me despite my psychoticness (is that a word) and that I serve a God who is forgiving.

Point is, we all have an alter ego. I think we all lead a double life at times, if not all the time. Remember that evil will take over without God- take my word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment