Carpe Septem Dies

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Topic #22: Awkward Moments

Wow, there have been far too many in my life, mainly because I am so empathetic. It takes a lot for me to personally feel awkward, but I get embarassed for people which can lead me to feel awkward. Does that make sense? Example: It's hard for me to watch American Idol auditions because I feel soooo embarrased for some of those people. Awkward. Then there are people who don't understand basic social cues. They don't get it when the conversation is ending, and it would be the best thing to politely excuse themselves. Awkward. If I am in that situation, I am usually the one to break that ice and relieve the awkwardness.

Many times I've wondered what it would be like to be that person who doesn't sense the awkwardness. What runs through that person's mind? "This silence is quite refreshing. Why does everyone else look uncomfortable? Oh well."

My sister has the tendency to just say "that's awkward," but 9 times out of 10 the situations aren't actually awkward. If they actually are awkward, I think it's a good way to break the ice.
And who remembers (or still uses) the "awkward turtle?" Never used it- thought it was awkward.

1 comment:

  1. I had an almost awkward on the train to Seattle. I walked in on the guy who sat behinde me, the whole trip, while he was peeing. Well, thankfully he had finished and was wahing his hands ... but it could have been really awkward.

    ReplyDelete