Carpe Septem Dies

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Topic #19: Your biggest fault

It's probably not great that I can think of a lot, so the hardest part is figuring out which one is the biggest. I would have to say my low self esteem because it causes the most issues within me, which then comes out in thoughts, words, and actions that many times effect the people I love. My low self esteem causes me to care too much sometimes and to work too hard because it's like I'm trying to make up for what I think I lack. Does that make sense? It causes jealousy within relationships because if a person chooses to hang out with someone else and not me, maybe they finally realized that I'm not good enough to invest time into. It's like I'm easily dispensible, and "out of sight, out of mind." It's ridiculous, I know. I am being brutally honest though. This definitely isn't my thought process all the time, but on bad days these thoughts and feelings creep up. My low self esteem causes me to play the comparison game, which is NEVER a good idea. I sit there and play this game where I compare myself with this person and that person, and I almost always lose.

How the heck did I ever get this way? I think about that often, and I'm really not sure. Well, it's Satan do his job: stealing, killing, and destroying. Most times I recognize the lies, and I'm able to fight them with God's strength but other times I give in and believe them. It can be so bad that I can be told how amazing I am and how beautiful I am over and over and over again, but there's a big part of me that doesn't believe it- that can't see it. Again, I'd say this is the biggest fault because it trickles down to every single part of my life and causes other issues such as overeating, depression, etc. It's like a cycle, but it will one day be broken.

I've learned in the past few years that things I once saw as a character flaw that was there to stay, are actually things that God can take out from the root and then heal. It can happen, and it will happen in my life. That was a lot to actually confess and say out loud to people, but I want to make it clear that God wants so badly to take that fault from me. I just need to daily give it to Him, and in return, take His perfect peace, unconditional love, and unending grace. And when I mess up and believe those lies, He's right there to comfort me and to pick me back up. God alone can take your biggest fault and turn it into something beautiful.

6 comments:

  1. He's not the only one - you can do that too. Just hard to know how, sometimes. (emoticon smiley)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^This guy. Also, you really are uniquely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim-you're right. I definitely have a part in it. I just think ultimately only God can bring a true and lasting transformation. And you're right- it's really hard to know how to move toward that change. Joe- you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm here's something to think about....people who have high self-esteem may sink into a different but equally negative pitfall. They can be arrogant, rude, obnoxious, and have feelings of superiority. The important thing to realize is that for every fault there is another side of that coin...low self-esteem is usually accompanied by deep compassion for others, a willingness to go above & beyond for people, sacrificing one's own needs to meet the needs of others. I can relate to every single word you've written here and we need to talk my dear so let's make that smoothie date soon. You have been truly blessed and friends and people who love you mirror that. Love & hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to sound so self-centered, but here I go. While reading this, I couldn't help but think "I think that about myself!" - practically through the whole thing. But I never pinned it on low self-esteem. It makes sense, though. I'm not happy that you are feeling this way because you are amazing, but it is kind of reassuring (not sure if that's the right word) that you, Amanda, feel that way sometimes, too. It kind of makes me feel like I'm not alone and maybe that what I'm thinking isn't true. Because I know it isn't true for you. I love you, J.D.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I've only known you for a small amount of time, but you are totally a great person. Self-esteem issues or not, I'm glad you exist.

    ReplyDelete